Saturday, September 19, 2015

Adventures. Chapter 5

It was on Friday night that I memorized that I had to attend a national fest that is to be held in st. Joseph college, Nishaghat. Few students were selected from my college to compete for the intercollege fest. The programs were really interesting as if it includes dubsmash, mockads, soliloquy, writings, screenplay, versification, dance and songs in group as well as single. Selfie, groupfie etc gives a good composure for the students to participate in it. I ringed up Taniya to disturb her sleep inorder to make her recall to collect the identity card, tag and the letter from our principal along with her.
  This is the first intercollegiate fest that I am attending in my life. I was stunned when I was selected from our class to compete. A month is about to over after being in college. Being a first year student I was really amazed as well as bit tensed thinking how things will work in my college. I was absolutely in dilemma when everything was strange for me while I had to deal with new place, new college, new hostel and finally new friends. Everything stings when I made a shift from my home to hostel. At one hand, I was relieved thinking that I may be able to avoid my mother's screaming at me in the morning enforcing me to wake up and to attend classes. At the other hand I was not that comfortable as I was in my home. The whole system in my life changed after being in hostel. But it's fine that I am well adjusted with the routines in hostel. Early wake ups from slumbers, morning walks to church to attend holy Mass, the trivial fights to stand in the que in the mess hall inorder to grab the food, clutching of pickles, criticisims on the cooks, runs to kitchen to fetch water after having spicy food.
   And when its all over, the hurry bury walks to college to attend assembly in time. And the most funniest thing of all is it's the hostlers who are late to attend assembly than those from the distant places who comes earlier. Sometimes we bunk our classes and stay back in canteen with useless talks to avoid boring lectures. And the scoldings by the teachers for not attending the classes, sleeps during the class hours, for not submitting assignments and notes in time, for skipping seminars and for giving undigestable reasons for not presenting the seminar paper..
Hanging on with friends, teasing and making fun with them, small debates on the films stars criticising the other, small fights for no reason and little egos to make compromises.. The sudden unity that we have when a problem comes our way. I used too wonder how beautiful this college life is.. If I had not be in a college, obviously I might had missed the most wonderful days in my life. I have already started to love my life in college. It's the most beautiful memory that one can ever cherish in their lives.
   I was really flayed as well as enjoyed by the way that our seniors had given us a fresher's day party. It was fabulous indeed and we had lot of fun. There is a system in which one among the seniors, most probably a hostler plays a role of a junior. Since we are new comers we make sure that one is senior when they come for raging us. At first I kept quiet without being stubborn even if am bit stubborn in my nature. I agreed with all what they do and what they say. I just acted as very obedient child, extra descent, simple and good albiet I was highly naughty and intolerable. Since I stood silent at a corner no one noticed me. I was happy that I was not scolded by anyone. It was then I noticed that one of those seniors was my senior from my school. She pointed out me to someone. And after a while, a handsome boy, bit tall with a freakish spiky hair came into the class along with his friends. Every gazes of girls were on him. Me too was impressed by his style, the towel which he wrapped around his head as a mark of his identity, the cooling glass that he kept above his hair,  a chain on his neck with a cross on it, a chewing gum on his mouth and fancy shoes which was outstanding, with a watch of Rado on his wrist and a band on the other.. In total, he looks like a pop singer who just stepped out after a live performance on the stage.
   He comes straight to me, I dropped my eyes from him and look to sideways. He comes closer to me and sat on the bench beside me. I was highly attentive. He asked me my personal details, my home, parents, siblings, marks etc. I answered them all. After being a bit polite, his tune of questioning was changed. He became bit rude, he asked me what I want to be after completing my studies. I replied that I have no idea. I surely needs a job to sustain, but I am not sure which sort of job. He told me that before completing degree, everyone has to decide what to do next so you have to decide it now. In a relaxed tone, I told him that I had only started my course so I have still time to fix it. But then, he orders me to fix it now within minutes. I was confused. Finally, I told that I would like to be a teacher.
Meanwhile my senior Nitanta who pointed out me to the guys peeps through the window to know what is happening. And she was happy to see me ragged by someone else.
  Then he said, if you want to be a good teacher, you should know how to take class. So its a must that you should show me a demo. I was surprised. Now? here? I asked.
Why? Can't you do that? His tune changed again.
O yes, why not! I said in panic.
I asked him to suggest a topic. Then after a long thought, he gave me a topic. And that was funny indeed. The topic was, I don't want Dosai.
What? I screamed all of a sudden.
Mmm?? No need of screaming. Do it now. He replied.
I asked him that whether it's okay for him if I make a speech on that rather than a class. For my luck, he was OK with it. So I made my speech. Inbetween the speech, one of our teacher came around our class. He was bit startled and slowed down from questioning me. I enjoyed the scene trying to hide the laughter.
     Heck, he remarked and stood up.
Nishal come here.. Called the teacher.
Yes sir.. He nodded and go near by him. They were discussing something else. And thus I too was ragged by someone. But this one is different, I enjoyed it. It was funny indeed. And his name sounded good.
I noticed others raging my pals. One of the senior was asking my companion to stand up and when he stands he asks to sour down. The same thing went on for ten minutes. Meanwhilst, I noticed another one asking his name to Isha who seemed panic. When she replied that she don't know, he asked to find his name and write imposition for 100 times. I felt funny and at the same time sorry for her. And one among them asked a boy to pray one rosary. Obviously, he might be from Jesus youth team. I guessed. Scared of this raging, one of my classmate suggested that we may go to chapel in the college and sit there so that no one comes to rag us there in chapel. That's a good idea, my friends exclaimed.
It was then that we noticed a fight that emerged in our class between a junior and a senior. Those boys made arguements and debates, and finally they hit each other. All of a sudden the senior boy brought many others along with him and started to stamp and hit the junior. And finally his condition was worst and that fights seems to turn as a riot very soon. At the other end, in the corner of our classroom seniors were trying to harass one of our classmate for wearing modern dress while she was trying to defend herself. She was wearing jeans and jeans was not allowed in our college.

After the discussions with the professor, Nishal was back to anounce that all the fresher's are requested to assemble in the department hall. We started to department hall for the fresher's day party. From there also, those guys made fights with that boy and girl in our class. And for my astonishment, even teachers kept silent and stood by there without intervening into those problems or not trying to calm down those people. I was wondered why teachers behave so after preaching that this is a campus where raging is prohibited. The teachers who should act out justice stay aback with their tongues and hands tied. I even thought of the idea to stop my studies in this college and to persist my studies in another college when I saw seniors harassing and insulting them even before teachers. We were flayed when we notice our classmates fighting with seniors and some among us even advised them not to make fights with seniors because that may affect them badly through out their college life. Even they will be crucified badly by them. But they resist hearing them and continued defying seniors.
But towards the end, teachers intervened. And one among the professors announced that these two juniors who defied seniors seems to be extra ordinary and therefore I assure them double promotion to the batch of our seniors. I was wondered thinking whether the professor had gone crazy.. But, our professor later explained that it was just a drama played by seniors. And those rebellious juniors were seniors in actual. And they made this drama only for a fun.
We were all amused by the master brain of this drama that made us to stay holding our breath in intense tension. And at the same time, we were astonished to know and accept that rebellious juniors were our seniors. It took time to get on with it. And all those who have given suggestions and advices to them were infact were ashamed of themselves to face them. Somehow, it was something new which was entirely different experience from my school life. I felt as if I was placed in some other world.

Irine...
I was taken away from my thoughts when my roomate asked me whether I had packed my things for the fest that I ought to attend the very next day.
Yeah.. I did, saying that I put off the light and I laid down my bed to slumber so that I may rise up early to attend the fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment